Sunday, May 20, 2012

Hommage (a) (to) Max





Max's pictures from the last class inspired me to point my camera straight up.  Once I did, planes started to appear.  I'm also posting a reflection picture where my silhouette gets partially filled in with details from the other side of the looking glass...

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I saw Max's plane before I saw the word hommage. You're the hommagenest photographer. Steal away. I love the blues of those top two - I think the architect might appreciate your appreciation of a certain purity of vision. Your images' vertical perspective reminds me of the perverse competition to build ever taller towers. By the lights of the ever more dizzying heights that Deadalus seeks to attain, these buildings are modest but they give all the perspective a camera can capture as it is.

The urban reflection seems to be a sub-genre on its own. I think that someone who becomes attuned to this way of seeing is looking for one thing the street photographer (ala Joel Meyerwitz) is seeking - some spontaneous, unaccountable magic to reveal something significant or surreal or both.

There is now something about a plane "touching" a building that wasn't there before. This time is was safe. Playing with scale is fun - tiny, toy plane / huge building.

It is somehow poignant that reflecting the blue (or any other) sky is a way that buildings create a natural context. They use the sky as a prop and we enjoy the soaring sense of blue they give, along with the effect of height of tall glass towers. The windows capture a bit of nature, though at a remove.

Back to the first two - lines, light, balance, form.

Max_Popov said...

These are great photos!