Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Kennedy Center

Besides the George Washington Parkway and Georgetown photos that I took last weekend and published in my last post, I also visited the Kennedy Center. I've always been impressed by the grandeur of the place and hoped to be able to capture some of what impressed me by the architecture.

I decided to visit in the afternoon so that I could get strong shadows. I also selected an ultra-wide lens to exaggerate height and distance relationships. However, despite using a 16mm lens (roughly 10mm on a crop sensor camera), I had to aim my camera up in order to fit my image in the frame. The Potomac to the west and walls and roads to the north prevented me from being able backup far enough to level my camera. (The south and east were in deep shadow.)


As you may have noticed form my previous posts, I rarely shoot images with people. They're simply not my focus, nor my forte. However, I felt I needed something in these images to convey scale, and the random people milling about during intermission provided me with that sense of scale.


I find strong geometrical shapes quite compelling. With the following images, I hoped to contrast the color of the landscaping with the black and white color of the building. The leading lines lend the image with depth and scale.




Blue and orange are complimentary colors on the color wheel and the presence of strong blue and orange elements lends the image color harmony... or at least, that's what I was trying to achieve in this image:


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my images.

John Baggaley

No comments: