So pleasant to spend a beautiful day with you at an interesting DC locale! I found myself just responding to the surroundings for the entire day without developing a specific theme for detailed study. Therefore, I offer a brief oeuvre of first impressions of Meridian Hill Park and surroundings. I have tried to pick a small eclectic set of images showing different aspects of the park.
If I had to pick one iconic image, this image of Joan of Arc and fountain would be one of my favorites. An alternative would be the grand vista of stonework and waterfalls from the pools down below. In this post, I've decided to share different close-up interpretations of the water and stone motifs instead.
The play of light on the cascading water was mesmerizing whether viewed from up above or from down below.
The variety of people, and their comings and goings, illustrated the deep connections between the park and its community. I find the above image of families passing by a visually entertaining interpretation of this connection.
The park may be a place of solitude and solace.
Or it may be a place of community. In the late afternoon, the beating of drums draws diverse people together. The carefree spirit of these ad-hoc collaborations is evident in the images.
In Meridian Hill Park's natural surroundings, some may find balance.
And some may find levity.
--
Roger Hammons
www.rogerhammons.com
2 comments:
Roger, this set has, to my mind, two impressive pictures. No 3. ( the second waterfall picture) and the one immediately following, of the lady with the baby ascending the stairs. As to the waterfall I've never seen it photographed quite this way - it's original and refreshing. The best work, like this, always makes one see the familiar in a quite different way, don't you think? As to the lady, it's a beautiful composition. I know you've noticed that the texture of the stone is prime photographic material in the park. Here there's enough of a diagonal to the light that you manage to bring out that texture. And the picture itself is capable of a thousand stories.
There's something ominous about the fellow watching the bloke who's on the tightrope. The nonchalance of the pose, leaning against a tree, hands in pocket, make me think mischief is being contemplated. Good picture.
Thanks, as always, for the opportunity to enjoy your work.
Farid
Two really wonderful pairs of images - more than the sum of the parts - the two musician / dance images - they're stunner for me - and the two water abstractions. Really if a subject merits your attention how can one shot be enough. That others commenting note other favorites testifies to the strength of the whole post. Glad Meridian Hill was so inviting to our group.
Post a Comment