Wednesday, May 15, 2013

45 Years - DC after the '68 Riots

For this series, I found some historical photos from the '68 riots on Google images.  I set out to re-create the same images today showing how much or how little certain locations have changed.  I only had time to explore 14th Street & U Street areas.  Seventh Street NW and H Street NE were also affected by the riots.  It has taken 40 years or more for most of these areas to recover.  Rapid gentrification is quickly changing the built environment of all areas affected by the riots.  I converted the images to black & white because the contemporary cars and colors seemed distracting.

9th & U St. NW - 1968

9th & U St. NW - 2013
Very little change structurally.  The building on the corner is now a trendy pub.
 
14th & U St. NW - 1968
 
14th & U St. NW - 2013
Quite a bit of change while preserving most historical structures.  Fast food and trendy bar occupy the old bank building.  Upscale high rise apartments in distance.
 
14th & Harvard St. NW - 1968
 
14th & Harvard St. NW - 2013
Only recognizable by apartment buildings in center rear and right of images.
Large high-rise replaces an entire block of 14th.
 
14th & Irving St. NW - 1968
 
14th & Irving St. NW - 2013
  Location of Columbia Heights Metro station, opened 1999.  Dense urban environment.  Retail and housing have returned.
 
 
 

No comments: